SomnoMed was listed on the ASX in 2004 and has become an Australian success story with over 290,000 patients having been treated in 27 countries worldwide.
The original SomnoDent® was designed by Sydney orthodontist Dr Rod Palmisano and has been patented and developed since.
In 2004 there was very little clinical data to show the efficacy of any of these devices and medics were skeptical about the use of mandibular advancement splints to treat the debilitating impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea occurs when a patient stops breathing during sleep. The impact of OSA is now well understood and symptoms include:
- Daytime tiredness
- Increased risk of Cardiovascular disease
- Increased risk of stroke
- Increased incidence of motor vehicle and workplace accidents
- Impact of cognitive function on career and relationships.
The gold standard of mandibular advancement splint
The SomnoDent® mandibular advancement splint works by gently and comfortably holding the jaw forward during sleep, improving the patency of the airway, reducing snoring and apnoeas.
Since 2004 there has been a growing body of clinical evidence to show that the SomnoDent® is an efficacious treatment option for patients suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Indeed the “SomnoDent®” is now seen as the Gold Standard of Mandibular Advancement Splints.
In 2013 a multicenter randomized controlled trial based in Sydney of 108 patients comparing SomnoDent® to Continuous Positive Airway Therapy (CPAP) showed similar health outcomes. The outcome of this trial was explained by the high levels of patient comfort and compliance with the SomnoDent®**.
In 2015 SomnoMed added the Dentitrac Compliance Monitoring technology to our devices. This technology enables measurement of nightly usage and can capture up to four months of data using a small microchip implanted in the SomnoDent®. A 2016 study of 69 SomnoDent® patients demonstrated overall compliance of 85.9% with an average nightly usage of 7.5 hours*.
It is the comfort of the SomnoDent® device that leads to this high compliance and hence the resulting efficacy. SomnoMed dentists are trained to be a part of an interdisciplinary group where communication and reporting patient outcomes gives confidence that SomnoDent® is the device of choice in treating Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Refer to Objective Compliance.
Peace of mind
As part of the SomnoMed philosophy we believe in teaching, innovation and constant improvement of our product offering in terms of patient comfort and product durability. The SomnoDent® is manufactured under strict FDA and ISO 13485 medical device processes which allows complete peace of mind for all. Dentists now have four models of the SomnoDent® to cover differing patient needs which are all covered by a three year warranty.
- Our group of territory managers calls on referrers promoting the evidence, our product and the SomnoMed Preferred Dental Network.
- With dental models and a bite registration SomnoMed will ensure the dentist a first time fit in a 15 day turnaround time.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea is now an epidemic as our population gets older and heavier. Treatment of Sleep Apnea will improve your patients sleep, their health and their quality of life.
- This treatment is also a rewarding addition to the dental practice offering.
* Objective compliance and head position monitoring of mandibular advancement splint therapy for sleep-disordered breathing-a preliminary investigation Joachim Ngiam Dept of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
** Health Outcomes of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure versus Oral Appliance Treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea A Randomized Controlled Trial Craig L. Phillips1,2, Ronald R. Grunstein2,3, M. Ali Darendeliler4, Anastasia S. Mihailidou5,6, Vasantha K. Srinivasan4, Brendon J. Yee2,3, Guy B. Marks2,7, and Peter A. Cistulli1,2 Published AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE VOL 187 2013